Oh Italia…from
the moment we arrived Julian was in love. Barcos (boats) everywhere :) And so
was I. The “taxi” also known as a vaporetto… from the airport to Venice was a
bit long because they are sticklers for going the speed limit in the ocean
apparently. But it was worth every second. As soon as I stepped off the boat,
it was like I was in a fairytale. Piazza San Marco is absolutely enchanting.
Not that I have seen much of the world but if I had to chose to go to one place
in the world it would be Venice. There truly is no other place like it. There
is art in every pebble in that city.
 |
| Julian a wee bit hyper on the vaporetto... |
The hotel we
stayed at was just around the corner from the famous Piazza San Marco and it
too was enchanting. It was an absolute maze of a building, just like the rest
of Venice. To get to our room we had to exit the building, go into another
alley, climb a few more flights of stairs, and take a few hallways. Thankfully
we didn’t have to carry our luggage. The concierge took care of that for us by
dropping them out of a window onto a middle terrace and reclaimed them by
climbing up out of a lower level window once we were in our “wing” of the
hotel. It was definitely not up to “code” in American standards, ha! The hotel was built in the 1500’s and in
the past had been a hospital, a hotel, and a brothel house…a little bit of
every thing. To describe the hotel is hard to capture in words…old world,
vintage, intricate, detailed. That was the best I could do. I will let the
pictures do the talking. It was just beautiful. And our room was bigger than
the one in Paris :) Plus it had air conditioning! Major bonus!
 |
| The courtyard just outside of our hotel. |
 |
| The stairs up to the lobby...so fun. |
 |
The alley where our maze to our room began :)
Note all the cables bundled up so safely along the walls : P |
 |
| Our room had some intense fabric on the walls! |
 |
| The furniture was so pretty though :) |
 |
| Even the key to the room was cool! |
The first day we
just got lost literally…in the alleys of Venice, wandering around the shops and
restaurants. The streets there have absolutely not rhyme or reason and if I
remember correctly, the smallest alley is only 20.5 inches wide. Again…it was
super hot there but the ocean breeze helped. We stopped in a little grocery
store to get some snacks and water and for some reason, no matter how many
times we tried, we bought sparkling water for the next two days. It was
horrible. Sparkling water has a time and place for me. But when it is hot,
sticky, and there are nothing but stairs everywhere, it just doesn’t quite
quench your thirst the way flat water does. Obviously looking back now, it is
really funny but at the time I wanted to punch Mario for not being able to read
Italian correctly.
 |
| I spy with my little eye...a gondolier!! |
 |
| Even the street signs themselves were hard to find. |
 |
| ...and back to the map. |
 |
| La Dolce Vita |
 |
| Just look at those sweet lanterns!!! |
…And then it was
dinner time. That’s when it all went down hill. We were introduced to Spaghetti
Nera or Black Spaghetti. It is tinted black from the ink of cuttlefish. Sounds
gross and looks unappetizing but my oh my, when that fork hit my mouth I was in
food heaven. It was the best thing I had ever eaten…until Mario’s mom made a
dish in Spain, which I will tell you guys about in another entry. So to date,
the second best thing I have ever eaten. We ate it for lunch and dinner everyday
we were there. And gelato…I lost count how many times we ate gelato. Let’s just
say it lives up to its expectation.
 |
| Gelato: Take 1 |
 |
Gelato: Take 2
Note the large grocery bags filled
with sparkling water..grrr |
 |
| Night night bug... |
Since we were
only there for a short time we only did all the super touristy things and I am
so glad we did. We went to a glass blowing shop where we saw a demonstration of
a horse being made. I think it only took 4 minutes for a blob of glass to be
made into a delicate piece of art. Absolutely incredible. We of course went on
a gondola ride at sunset…which wasn’t quite the same with Julian with us but
magical nonetheless. Listened to the bands play in the Piazza, purchased some
souvenirs from the street vendors, and walked along the oceanfront. Unfortunately, the Basilica was closed
for renovations but I don’t think we would have had time anyway. All in all, I
think Venice was the highlight of the whole trip for me. So here is an insane
amount of pictures for two days worth…now go and find a flight to Venice! You
won’t regret it.
 |
| Revisiting their honeymoon spot :) |
 |
| And he's awake...Time to party! |
 |
| But really...it is SO gorgeous!! |
 |
| Just look at the pier...the water... |
 |
| ...the backdrop... |
 |
| ...I couldn't get enough! |
 |
| Boom dang. |
 |
The Piaza San Marco is just ridiculous...How did they build
things so precise and so beautiful so long ago
...It blows me away |
 |
Your typical "continental breakfast" in Europe puts ours to
shame in the States. Everything is so fresh!! All. The. Time. |
 |
| ...uh goooood morning sleepy heads :) |
 |
| Cartoon Break :) |
 |
| A city on water...I've been there and it is still hard to believe. |
 |
Guapos!
...Reppin' JD! |
 |
| coches coches coches! |
 |
| :) |
 |
| 5€ for a picture...no thanks, I'll just creep on you from the alley |
 |
| Tum oooooonn! |
 |
| Mah Boy :) |
 |
Half way through our meal, we were informed that our
previous waiter dressed in a white button up and dress pants
would be relieved and someone else would be taking care of
us.. Shortly after, our previous waiter (now in a tank top)
took the table next to us and enjoyed a cigarette. |
 |
| Black Spaghetti: Take 1 |
 |
| Pan (Bread) Face! |
 |
| Dance Break! |
 |
| Nothing like the excitement of a new car! |
 |
Gelato wasn't the only pit fall..there were a few cannolis
along the way too. |
 |
| Check! Another bucket list item crossed off :D |
 |
| My Loves :) |
 |
| Julian did so well...up until the end. Ha |
 |
| I don't know how we would have done it without them! |
 |
...Right after getting off the gondola. The next picture taken,
Julian is asleep...poor guy was so tired! |
 |
So many people from so many walks of life all in the same
place to admire the amazing creations of men. |
 |
| His first love ♥ |
 |
| I could eat that face! |
 |
| Night Night Buddy. |
 |
| This detail... |
 |
| ...was in every. single. arch. |
 |
| Incredible! |
 |
| Love Birds! |
 |
| Photo Credit: Mario Dealba |
 |
| Take me back! |
 |
| Some amazing water colors! |
 |
| Black Spaghetti: Take 2 |
 |
The first restaurant to actually have a highchair. The funny
thing is, It was the kind you have at home haha |
 |
| Black Spaghetti: Take 3 |
 |
| Black Spaghetti: Take 4 |
 |
| Todos! |
 |
| Dancing to the band :) |
 |
| Someone got a little jealous and wanted to join in :) |
 |
| Gelato: Take 3 |
 |
Gelato: Take 4
No help needed here. |
 |
The window our luggage was dropped out of haha. But
look at that lobby! It was so pretty. |
 |
| Ciao Italia! Off to España :D |
No comments:
Post a Comment